Monday, May 27, 2013

Activities Explanation For 2- Hour

I have been working on my activities and my senior project is coming to an end. I realize how much i have learned with my activities and really feel that they express my topic, and my answers. They really relate to my EQ because for one, each activity does have to do with my answers and woodworking in a unique way. My answers are Finishing, Joinery, and Materials. In my activities the class will understand what each answers means in woodworking, and how it related to my topic, and most important EQ. My first activity will be my third and best answer, materials. I will make groups of four, and give each group two pieces of wood. This wood is really messed up and dented. The activity will be to understand your material, and see how it reacts and to understand that your material is indeed the most important thing for a woodworker to consider to make an aesthetic piece of furniture because it contains the color, the design, it plays the biggest role in woodworking. The class will have a cup of water, two rag, two dented piece of wood, and an iron. The purpose of this activity is to understand your material and how it reacts under temperature change, and to understand the biology of wood itself. The objective will be to remove the dents from the wood using water and an iron to steam the water. After the class has done so I will have them share out why the dents rose and disappeared and explain the process to understand how important the material in woodworking is and how many variables come with the material. 

 The second activity will be about my second answer, Joinery. The class will be given the same two pieces of wood from the last activity, and that is all. The objective will be to understand joinery and how it works, what it is used for, its importance, and the relationship to my EQ. Joinery is what binds and holds the wood together, and it gives it the strength to stay up. Joinery has a unique design around the edges where the two pieces are joined. Joinery also allows the piece to function and be of use, it also helps it last and gives it strength. The class will gain understanding of this, and realize that joinery is something to consider in woodworking to make an aesthetic piece of furniture because it provides a different set of "aesthetics", which is function. Function is sometimes more appealing, and more aesthetically pleasing then the physical appearance and look. SO the class will have two different pieces of wood given to them in activity one. They will then select one member to find the piece of wood that matches their piece of wood and try to join the wood together. Once they have joined it together, they will discuss with their groups what they think this joinery will be for, its strength and its weakness, and discuss the pattern they see alone the edges. I will then call one a few students and ask them what they think about the joinery, what it can be used for and what it cant be used for in regards to woodworking. For example, if one has a half blind dove tail, I will ask them if they think the joinery is strong, if they like the design, and where it can be used in woodworking (for example, to make a chair, or box).

My last and final activity will be the longest. It will be based on my first answer Finishing. The class will have the same two wood pieces from activity two, and will be given gloves, shellac finishing, wax finishing, two cheese cloths for the finishing, and two types of sand paper with different grain. The objective of this activity is to understand my first answer, by showing how finishing is applied and its purpose. First, the team will sand each piece of wood until it is smooth, round the edges off, and prepare the wood to go through the final process a wood worker puts their piece through, finishing. After they have sanded the two pieces, I will show them how to apply finishing to the two pieces of wood using both wax, and shellac. This will give the wood a different look, and will show how it makes the wood look aesthetically pleasing and draw attention. 


No comments:

Post a Comment